January 27, 2014

The Little Cowboy

This is a photo of my Dad (who is now 83). He must have been quite proud of his cowboy outfit but this may have been one of only a few happy moments in his otherwise, bleak childhood.

He joined the navy at 17 and got a lot of tattoos and when I was a kid, I remember how we would ask about them, where he got them and what they meant.

So this was my inspiration for creating a collage, using a background of torn book pages, an image transfer of his photo and a heart tattoo, a scrap of sewing pattern tissue paper and text cut from a ticket. Colored pencils and acrylic paint were used for color.

I've linked it to the Monday blog challenge at Simon Says Stamp, where the theme is "this is where the cowboy rides away." It doesn't qualify for the random drawing because it is not a new work but it is the first time I've ever shared it with anyone.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing piece! You Dad sound like my Dad. My fathers childhood was horrible and he left home at 13. Joined the Army at 16. He lied about his age. Tattoos from neck on down. Thanks for sharing your piece. Made me think of my Dad. With Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collage and very meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning project! Beautiful work of art! Thanks for joining along with Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful creation! I love the beautiful collaged background and the precious photo. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beulah...your canvas is amazing! I so love that you used an image of your dad, the fence behind him and how you colorized it to seem to melt into the canvas. That pattern piece you used looks like a sidewalk...so clever! This is such a cool idea! I love it! I'm so curious...how did you do your transfer technique over the paper background? I love the colors you've used on this piece....brilliant! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candy, for your lovely comment. I wondered if anyone would get the sidewalk bit. Regarding the technique, I made a reverse photo-copy of Dad's photo and cut out the parts I wanted, used colored pencils to tint his clothing then applied a gel-medium to transfer to the background. I used white acrylic paint brushed on the fence to bring it out more. If you don't know about gel-medium transfers you can do a web search for lots of info on the technique. It's a bit of a hit or miss process and I got lucky with this one.

      Delete
  6. This is amazing! Gorgeous background with the text and the sidewalk is perfect to build up your scene. Such a precious photo to have. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning canvas! Great work! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this canvas. The colors are really wonderful and the text beneath the transfer is really nice. Super work miss Bee!

    ReplyDelete