June 27, 2014

Resting Place

I sometimes think my tags are more like journal pages and I certainly seem to approach them that way. This one is a good example of what I mean.

I wondered what would happen if I used black acrylic paint and my tree stencil (Crafter's Workshop) over a piece of very tiny sheet music (Vintage Finds by Theresa Collins). But the contrast of black and white was pretty stark, so I decided it needed leaves.

I put small drops of three shades of green acrylic paint here and there and covered it with a piece of scrap paper that I pressed down and lifted off. There was too much coverage so I used a sheet of hand sanitizer (don't have baby wipes) to take off most of it.

What if I tried to make it look like the sky was peaking through? Out came a few shades of blue paint that I applied with a brush, feathering a bit with my fingers and wipes.

Next? Birds, of course! So I used black archival ink to stamp them and found book text that seemed appropriate. But the overall design was still just a little monotonous. Then I remembered a tool which I should use more often (the prompt this week at the SSS Monday blog challenge).

Click to Enlarge
It's a tracing wheel used in sewing to transfer pattern markings to cloth. You run it through paint and then on your surface and it leaves tiny little dots all in a row. It's a technique that was probably invented by Lynn Whipple and I used it here to complete the tag.

So, whether it's a tag or a journal page, it doesn't really matter.

 It began as an experiment, one step led to another, it was satisfying, I had fun, and I learned something along the way. And that is why I do it! (Stamp credit: Stamping Bella)

I'm linking to Craft Horders Anonymous Challenge #10 Spray It! Ink It! Paint It! Smear It! Emboss It!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous use of the stencil and tag. I loved reading how you used stencil over the text background. Fabulous! Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "I Ought to Use More of this".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your project. The colors in the background really looks like evening time and the birds are sitting on the branch looking at the moon. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tag reminds me of birds roosting at night watching the stars! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tag is phenomenally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so creative and wonderful! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete