August 25, 2014

Antoinette


Did you ever wonder why brown paper bag-colored card stock is called "kraft" paper? It's not a clever take on the word "craft" but instead, comes from the "kraft process" a term used in paper making. Others must have wondered about this too because there's a Wikipedia entry for it. And did you know that manila paper was originally manufactured in the Philippines, which is how it got its name.

Click to Enlarge
To celebrate this new found knowledge, may I present a tag made from both manila and kraft paper which I'm linking to the "witch kraft" challenge at SSS.

I pasted the kraft paper onto a manila tag, stamped it with archival ink, transferred an image using polymer medium, tinted it with distress inks, stains and some colored pencils and added strips of printed kraft paper to the border.

The light-colored image plays nicely off the kraft-colored background and this week's challenge was the perfect excuse to finally use it.

6 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love visiting your blog because it is a feast for both the eyes and the brain! I walk away feeling inspired and smart! Thanks for the interesting info about both Kraft paper and manila paper. And your tag is stunning! I was impressed that you made such an attention-grabbing tag with such a subtle color palette, but that is one of your strengths. Your work is always arresting (in a good way-- not in a police type of way)! It makes me stop and look. In this tag, I really like how you've chosen to portray Marie as someone quietly intelligent as opposed to the over-the-top ways she's sometimes presented. It's a wonderfully thoughtful tag and I'm so glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don’t read comments from others people, but today I read Andrea`s and have to say that I totally agree with her... I can say just...amen! :)
    Best wishes dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful piece of artwork! You have such an unique style and and create the most amazing pieces and it's always such a pleasure to see them every week! Thank you so much for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information about the paper! I will sound intelligent at dinner tonight, as I pass that along to my family. Your tag is stunning, and I'm so envious of your transfer skills. Yesterday, I tried about 6 times to transfer an image onto a mirror using gel medium and one of them worked: the others peeled off. I gave up..for now and just went with a wall hanging instead. Great job here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried to transfer to a surface as smooth (and slick) as glass and suspect you will find it much easier when applying the transfer to a more absorbent surface (like paper or canvas). I do a lot of transfers and really should share what I've learned in a future blog post which may help others like you. The main thing is to work quickly, use enough medium, and take special care with the edges. Don't give up because it's a really useful technique and practice makes perfect.

      Delete