January 18, 2015

For Joseph

Click to Enlarge

Joseph Cornell was a brilliant artist and a pioneer of assemblage. If you are not familiar with his work, it's well worth your time to look him up.

Prompted by a challenge at Art Journal Journey to create something "inspired by the Masters," I collaged a page that mimics his Medici Princess box creation.

I used a frame from a magazine advertisement for a background filled with more magazine scraps, some rub-on letters and numbers, paint, gel pens, colored pencils, and embossed stamping.

I wish I could use symbolism more effectively in my art to give it a strong voice and invoke introspection. This is a skill Joseph Cornell mastered in a subtle, understated way and is what I appreciate most about his work.

Update:  I modified the original journal page posted here. Something was missing! The black vertical and horizontal lines in the original work were left out unintentionally. This simple addition made a difference and now I'm happier with it. (1/21/2015)

8 comments:

  1. Wow.. this is stunning...an adorable piece!
    Thank you for that fantastic contribution to Art Journal Journay again!
    Happy New Week to you !
    xoxoxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful, what a fantastic contribution to Art Journal Journey! Thanks! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Really a impressive interpretion and thanks for introducing the artist I didn't know him but like his work very much...have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collage ~ it's lovely *and* expressive, so don't discount your abilities in those subtler expressions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is a great work, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for looking at my blog and posting such a nice comment. I came to look at yours and WoW, love your page. Great colors and subject matter. I will check back for more of your wonderful works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow,mthis its fantastic art work,love it to much.

    xxx Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  8. What more to say....another wow! Great work....

    ReplyDelete