January 21, 2016

Got Friends?


Aunt Butch (or Butch)--that's what everyone called her. It was the nickname given to her by my Dad. She's the one on the right and her real name was Olive Lee.

The photo was taken in my Grandmother's backyard and because of the hats, I suspect it might have been her birthday. I don't know why she looked so sour with that "it's my party and I'll cry if I want to" expression but in truth, it was her nature to never smile that much.

But I digress. This post isn't meant to be a sharing of family history, rather, it's a chance to talk about a photo tinting theory that played out rather well.

In a previous post, I mentioned using clear gesso over black paper to create a chalkboard effect using pastel pencils and that made me wonder, would this technique work for tinting black and white photos?

The answer is yes and rather well, I might add.

After stamping and tinting the background and pasting on the girls, I covered the tag with a layer of clear gesso then used pastel pencils to tint their clothing and put a little color in their cheeks. The trick is not to apply too much since pastels are generally not very transparent and you could lose some of the photo's detail if you did.

Would I use this technique again? Definitely.

I chose this photo and made this tag so I could link to Simon's Monday blog challenge where this week's theme is Best Friend.

Stamp credit: Tim Holtz Dots & Florals

13 comments:

  1. This tenting technique is so cool and an amazing idea! This photo is the best - EVER! Those hats slay me. For some reason I think we are more drawn into pouty girls than happy ones and this photo really brings you in. Love it and love this awesome tag! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! What a great photo and tag--I will have to try tinting this way; thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous technique and wonderful results!! LOVE that photo!! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technique, photo.... everything here is perfect, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous. The photo is a real treasure. Love your technique too and hope to try it out. Did the girls have hats on or did you add these? so cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever technique for tinting the photo... and what a terrific photo too.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a precious tag! The tinting looks wonderful, and the photo is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This photo is adorable on it's own, but you really brought it to life. I'll have to get brave enough to try this technique. This tag is absolutely perfect for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is GENIUS on so many levels! And even though you said you digressed, I loved the digression, too! It was a joy to read about Butch and you have a great way of bringing history to life through both your words and your art. And wow! Talk about a bonus take-away from this post! I am loving the look of the clothes and can't wait to try this technique! Thanks for sharing such a clever idea and for always supporting our challenges here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. I always look forward to your submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the photo tinting you've done. The background is gorgeous too. So very pretty ! Love to read about your family history and I'm a bit jealous because I don't have any pictures or stories about mine. Thanks for your amazingly kind words on my blog. Gelatos are really fun and easy, but I don't use them as often. But seeing Tim play with those new crayons made me take them out. For me the best method of creating art journal pages are on a loose sheet, just like you said, it can get messy and difficult appling your mediums and stamps when the journal gets fuller and fuller. And again, I really love your gorgeous tag! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous tag! I love the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous technique and the photo is adorable!

    Gaby xo

    ReplyDelete