February 02, 2016

Eclipse

An eclipse cannot exist without a ray of sunshine.

Click to Enlarge
Sorry, Simon. While inspired to make this tag from the Monday blog challenge prompt which is ray of sunshine, I didn't use a single stamp in the process.

Instead I drew a diagram I stumbled upon at the British Library Flicker photostream (a favorite place to look for inspiration) and tried out a technique using oil pastels that's been on my to-do list for awhile.

Here's a link to the tutorial, the artist's name is Loretta Grayson.


Oil pastels are fun but messy which is the main reason I don't use them too often. That, and the fact that they resist water-based paints so are less desirable in mixed-media projects. Still, their resist quality can be useful and Loretta's tutorial helps to illustrate that fact.

They have two qualities I really like--they are smooth as butter and the pigments are strong. Here in the US, you can purchase a student-grade box for a reasonable price (I used Cray-Pas). If you've never tried them and like to experiment, then perhaps I've tickled your interest.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what an explosion of colors, a real eye catcher. Love your tag!

    Gaby Bee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work miss bee...I have been a fan of Loretta's work for many years. She never fails to inspire with her colorful trees. Your take on her inspiration is magical. I am sure the tag is even more beautiful in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwww, this is beautiful. Wonderful colors.
    Greets Carola

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulously designed! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors - thanks for sharing Loretta's tutorial...does look messy but what a great outcome! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolutely intriguing piece of art. I was drawn in by the color layout. I am amazed at how it has so many squares, yet it is soft and almost glowing somehow. Yet another tribute to your vision and skills. Really love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, be still my science teacher heart! I totally love how you interpreted ray of sunshine with an eclipse! Brilliant, Miss Beulah Bee! And of course, you do not have to stamp anything for our challenges - just look at the wonderful materials you chose to use! So glad you joined us in our Ray of Sunshine challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, so happy for you to be in the spotlight at SSS! Biggest congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete