March 03, 2016

The Red Chair


The journal page I share today was prompted by Simon's Monday challenge, Take a Leap Into the Unknown, and it was all that and more!

I took several photos of each stage so my post is longer than usual but I hope you'll enjoy seeing the process. As always, you can click on the individual photos to see a larger version.

I found this lady's image on the net and know nothing about her but wanted to give her a bigger presence because she is so captivating.

I took a leap and cropped out the frame, reversed the image, then printed the photo in a larger size than I normally work with so she'd fill up the page.


I applied polymer gel medium over my trimmed laser-printed photo, placed it on the page and once dry, began the process of rubbing off the paper to transfer the image.



I penciled-in a scene then went over the lines with a black paint pen.



The next photo shows how I used various stamps with black archival ink to create a pattern for the walls, an orchid for the window sill, and a face and frame for the picture on the wall. I also filled in her dress using black and gray paint then took a leap and decided to add bits of tissue paper to her skirt to give it more interest.


Then I took another leap and decided to use oil pastel crayons to tint the window because I knew they would be easy to smear and help create the look of vintage glass.

I used chalk pastels to tint the wallpaper and brown acrylic paint on the wall base and floor. The orchid was tinted with colored pencils because the design is so small a paintbrush wouldn't be practical.

The wall base looked too plain so I stamped a row of images using brown archival ink. My last color decision was the chair and yes, I took a leap, and painted it with bright red acrylic.


I wasn't too happy with the lady's skirt so I dug out some black tissue paper which I added in strips and then finally opted to trim the skirt with washi tape.


Here's one more look at the final outcome (so you don't have to scroll to the top) and in case you're wondering, my journal is the large format Dylusions by Ranger (each page measures approx. 8" x 11").


To learn more about my image transfer technique, click here for a post that further explains the method I use along with some tips. Maybe you'll take a leap too?

7 comments:

  1. WOW! This is amazing and so intriguing!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensational! You really did a great job. I did enjoy seeing your process-- very interesting. Wonderful image too; this woman has a somewhat unusual, and pretty, look for that era (my apologies to any women from that era!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is fantastic! What an incredible amount of details here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is such a cool page, I love how you built up the scene and the dress turned out fabulous. Thanks for joining in, good luck. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant!! I love how you created the scene, and her dress - so clever and fabulous detail! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is amazing! I love this art journal spread. Fabulous to see the steps. I would never have guessed that the skirt wasn't part of the main image. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a STUNNING piece! And yes- I did mean STUNNING in capital letters! I love, love, love how you gave this mysteriously intriguing lady a room in which to shine and simultaneously lounge about. I always adore your ability to create magic from the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete