July 03, 2017

Fortune Teller



I'm so delighted to be a Guest Designer this month at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and if this is your first visit here--hello and welcome!


Our challenge this week is to use red, white and/or blue and features products by Sizzix. I used the Tim Holtz Texture Fade called Roses to create the background for this tag.


After embossing an old book page, I swiped Red Brick Distress Ink on the raised parts. It looked pretty good but I wanted to experiment.

So I spritzed the page with a healthy dose of water (which moved the color into the background) and let it dry. It was still okay but when I turned the page over I got really excited about how the backside looked and that became the background I used for this tag.

To add a little variety of color, I lightly swiped white paint over some of the raised parts.


Next came the oval, cut from a vintage postcard. It needed a border so I hand-stitched around the edge using dark gray embroidery floss then repeated the stitching along the tag edges. I smudged a tiny bit of charcoal pencil around the oval to give it some depth.


The little miss is an Idea-ology Paper Doll dressed up with Lace Trimmings and more stitching (this time using thick white thread). To get the lace to hold it's shape after gathering, I coated it with watered down white glue and let it dry before using Glossy Accents to attach it to the bottom of her skirt.

The original vest was dark gray but I wanted to make it red so I lightly scratched into the surface with an X-Acto Knife which gave me a lighter surface to tint.


The photo above shows how I pre-punched holes with a pin tool to make hand-stitching the scarf a little easier. I didn't have blue thread so I used white and just tinted it to match the skirt.


The scarf inspired me to use a Clippings Stickers text from Idea-ology.
A black star (traced from an image) was placed near her feet.
Tiny stitches were sewn on her vest.
I made a shadow beneath her with charcoal pencil.
Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress inks were rubbed here and there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hope you'll join us for this week's challenge because I want to see what inspires you!

And when you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!



Here's a list of the products I used for this challenge
which can be ordered from Simon:


19 comments:

  1. This tag is fantastic! I love that gorgeous text background with the roses and the hand stitched elements add such a special touch to the tag. I am so glad you are our guest designer again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty and so familiar. The landscape is fabulous and the way you colored the doll is great. Love the background roses and the texture. Happy to have you with us this month! Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your gorgeous tag! The texture on the background and the images are fabulous. It's so great to have you as our guest designer again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! Your tag is beautiful. I love your attention to detail with the shading,stitched edging and awesome design. I'm so excited you joined us again this year and can't to see what you create each week. Always a feast for the eyes!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the details so I'm grateful you included the behind the scenes photos. The lace on her skirt is my favorite. I am trying that today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous tag, Beulah Bee! I love your happy accident of like the back better, and the stitching around the frame is awesome. Great vintage feel to this. So happy you are joining us for the month of July! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic to see you in the Spotlight at SSS - and this vintage tag is absolutely charming. I love her lacy skirt!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic tag Beulah. So many wonderful details! It's especially clever to scratch her waistcoat so as to intensify the red! All the stitching looks wonderful. My favourite element is that rear background text ... I studied Coriolanus many moons ago so it struck a note... I'm cheering on your gorgeous little fortune teller! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a lovely tag Beulah and how I adore vintage images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tag Beulah, the little girl is so adorable and the background is gorgeous, the whole design is awesome!
    It is so lovely to have you joining us again this month!! 😍❤️❤️❤️

    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic tag once again! I love how you altered the paper doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cool tag! I love the way you incorporated texture!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow great tag I love it, the background is beautiful and all the little details you've created make it perfect, great job as always. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful tag and I love the detail work you've added to the paper doll, she looks absolutely wonderful! So happy to have you join us again over on the SSS Monday Challenge Blog and looking forward to your next project...

    ReplyDelete
  15. welcome to the team Beulah...I'm so happy you are joining us again. Love this project and the details you have added to the Paper Doll...waiting with anticipation to see what else you have in store to share with us...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so great to have you back! Your tag is so full of details! My eyes are drawn everywhere to find little secrets. The fact you added some "real" details to the paper dolls is beyond anything i could ever imagined! You gave me such an inspiration! Awesome tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SooOoOOoOo excited to have you back designing with us again! You know I love your mad crafting skills! On this tag, I really love how you created the illusion of the ground and how the shape of the star totally plays into that. A beautiful piece that is red, white and blue at its loveliest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First I'm so happy you are our Designer Spotlight! Second: as always your tag is full of detail, especially I love how you added the fabric and you've transformed this Dolls! Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy that you're back with us as a GD! What a fabulous tag! The texture you've added with the embossing folder is amazing and so are all the stitching details and the lace! Really gorgeous! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete