July 24, 2017

Philately



Simon's Monday challenge this week is "You've Got the Edge."

And what has a more distinctive edge than a postage stamp?

Philatelists (people who collect stamps) use magnifying glasses and special gauges (like the one pictured below) to count the number of perforations for correct classification.


So, for my spotlight this week, I decided to make a postage stamp album using an Idea-ology Worn Binder (Notebook) and filled it with pages of postage stamps. See if you can spot the real ones!




The binder was stained with Distress, stamped (Correspondence and Legacy Lower Case), taped (Journey and Aristocrat) and collaged using a real postage stamp and ephemera (Snippets).

A wide variety of products were used to make the stamps including stamp punches (Uchi's Design Stamp Embossing Punch), rubber stamps (Tiny Things), paper stash (Dapper, Correspondence), Ranger archival inks, Versafine pigment ink, Prismacolor pencils, off-white acrylic paint and micro-fine pens (Sakura).

I printed a border on multiple sheets of off-white paper made to fit the binder to give the appearance of vintage postage stamp album pages. I used my trusty old Smith Corona typewriter to document my collection (adding a fair-share of tongue-in-cheek in the process).






Some of the stamp shapes were made from real postage that I covered with off-white paint--it's amazing how tough the paper is. Did you know that to remove the vintage gummed postage from an envelope you only have to soak it in water and it comes right off? Once dry, it's ready to mount in your album (or artwork?) with no harm done.

My stamps were mounted on dark gray construction paper to mimic the mounting squares (which highlight the perforated edges) in real stamp albums. I used a glue stick for all my pasting.

I have extra blank pages and expect to add to my collection in the future especially when I have interesting left-over snippets from other projects. It's a bit like journaling but on really tiny paper. So fun!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Please join us for this week's challenge!

If you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!



Here's a list of most of the products I used for this challenge:


19 comments:

  1. That was so brilliant!!! The 'Monopoly' page is awesome...my Dad would have loved it!!! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! What a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous album Cathie! I used to Stamp collect so have a mass of stamps that I could use to make one of these! The whole design of this is gorgeous and very clever 😍❤️

    Luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! I have a box of stamps my father gave me years ago. What a great way to display them. Love this!

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way cool!!! It really does look like a stamp album and your faux postage is very good. My hubby is a collector. The only give away is that real postage always has the country on it!!! Really fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exceedingly cool project! I'd have never guessed these weren't real stamps! I have a box full of stamps from all over the world, and I am going to steal your idea! PS Thank you for your very sweet comment on my butterfly panel! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cool project! You have quite an awesome collection! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! This is so cool. I collected stamps when I was a child and now don't even now what happened with all my collections :-( Great project, I love iys vintage look and those shady colors. Hugs, Marzena

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cool idea! Love that you went for postal edges with your project, and you make it look like an awesome collection! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your "vintage" stamps are just brilliant, as is their "vintage" folder! Such a clever idea - especially to use real stamps as the base for some of them. Fantastic and inspirational!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who collects stamps...this is such a wonderful idea and such a unique and beautiful way to showcase them perfectly! Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational project... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love it it's a wonderful project if you don't say anything I would have think all are real stamps. Fantastic album. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such fantastic project! Love all the details on each page! Great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. an amazing project...a philately treasure trove...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This week your project is breathtaking! Love your incredible and original idea, the way you've built your collection! Thanks for your kind words on my blog! I'm honoured! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. This project is perfect for a collector! I wasn't able to find the real stamp and the "fake" one because everything looks so perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, this is so pretty! Love the stamps and the typing around them. Super fun idea! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love these stamps. I rushed right out (well, rushed to my computer) and ordered stamp embossing punch. I am looking forward to its arrival thanks to your wonderful inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete