/* */ Beulah Bee

July 17, 2017


This is my mother's recipe box. Kind of sad, huh? She would say, "The contents are more important than the container."

But it seriously needed a make-over and since the theme for Simon's Monday Challenge Blog this week is Get In Shape, I decided to give the box a face lift (and won't she be surprised?!).

First came a good scrub down--scraping off the white stuff (it was paint) and lightly sanding the entire surface to prep for painting with a "multi-surface" off-white acrylic craft paint.

Sections from the Wallflower paper stash were cut to size, matte Modge Podge was used to attach them and I gave the paper's top surface a protective coat using matte Perfect Paper Adhesive.

Using design tape from the Idea-ology Rose collection, I trimmed-out all the box edges. Even though the tape is quite sticky, I used a quick dry PVC adhesive (Aleene's Tacky Glue) to make sure it stays put.

More pieces of design tape from the Rose and Butterfly collections were placed randomly over the surface of the paper (ala-collage).

Final touches came from thin black satin craft ribbon attached with fabric glue along with a rhinestone button, rescued by my great Aunt Esther, and kept in a button box that I inherited.

The button was attached only to the lid so it can still be opened. Now all I need to do is make some new index card dividers. I'll let mom do the alphabetizing!


I really hope you'll join us for this week's challenge--the theme is so versatile with endless possibilities. What will you come up with?

The creation you upload to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog will give you a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of products I used for this challenge:

July 10, 2017

An Original

It's week number two for me in the Designer Spotlight at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge Blog. So exciting!

The theme is Distress It so I gave an inexpensive 4-inch chip brush some vintage style. Here's the before and after:

I clear embossed the handle using the Stampers Anonymous French Collage stamp then applied a heavy coat of Peacock Feathers Distress stain. Once dry, I ironed off the embossing and used Vintage Photo stain in random places.

I tinted the bristles by soaking them in a really strong solution of blue-green watercolor paint. After it dried, I brushed the tips through dark brown acrylic paint.

I covered the ferrule with a strip from the Aristocrat design tape collection (Idea-ology), used copper embossing powder in the bottom section and tinted the rest of the shiny parts with Ranger's Mushroom alcohol ink. I trimmed out the top with tiny dots made with copper-colored paint.

The edges of Tim's Baroque frame were embossed with copper powder and the other areas tinted with Mushroom alcohol ink. The gent inside came from Idea-ology's Dapper stash (it's part of a cigar box label). The four is an Idea-ology Number Brad.

I topped my brush with scrap jewelry pieces attached with string (tinted with Distress ink) and an Idea-ology Quote Chip that was altered with sanding, tinting and copper embossing.


Please join us for this week's challenge!

If you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of some the products I used for this challenge:

July 03, 2017

Fortune Teller

I'm so delighted to be a Guest Designer this month at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and if this is your first visit here--hello and welcome!

Our challenge this week is to use red, white and/or blue and features products by Sizzix. I used the Tim Holtz Texture Fade called Roses to create the background for this tag.

After embossing an old book page, I swiped Red Brick Distress Ink on the raised parts. It looked pretty good but I wanted to experiment.

So I spritzed the page with a healthy dose of water (which moved the color into the background) and let it dry. It was still okay but when I turned the page over I got really excited about how the backside looked and that became the background I used for this tag.

To add a little variety of color, I lightly swiped white paint over some of the raised parts.

Next came the oval, cut from a vintage postcard. It needed a border so I hand-stitched around the edge using dark gray embroidery floss then repeated the stitching along the tag edges. I smudged a tiny bit of charcoal pencil around the oval to give it some depth.

The little miss is an Idea-ology Paper Doll dressed up with Lace Trimmings and more stitching (this time using thick white thread). To get the lace to hold it's shape after gathering, I coated it with watered down white glue and let it dry before using Glossy Accents to attach it to the bottom of her skirt.

The original vest was dark gray but I wanted to make it red so I lightly scratched into the surface with an X-Acto Knife which gave me a lighter surface to tint.

The photo above shows how I pre-punched holes with a pin tool to make hand-stitching the scarf a little easier. I didn't have blue thread so I used white and just tinted it to match the skirt.

The scarf inspired me to use a Clippings Stickers text from Idea-ology.
A black star (traced from an image) was placed near her feet.
Tiny stitches were sewn on her vest.
I made a shadow beneath her with charcoal pencil.
Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress inks were rubbed here and there.


I really hope you'll join us for this week's challenge because I want to see what inspires you!

And when you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!

Here's a list of the products I used for this challenge
which can be ordered from Simon: