April 25, 2016

Creativity



This is my last week as a guest designer for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and it has been a wonderful experience.

This is such a great blogging community full of inspiration and information--I'm happy to be a part of it and grateful for the feedback I've received!


This week's challenge is to use a metallic element so I made an assemblage that would definitely set-off a metal detector!

I used found bits of really rusty metal (the square frame and large nail), a vintage key and lots of Idea-ology including a Quote BandNumber BradGadget Gear, and Faucet Knob.


A border for the Burlap Panel was made using tacks and copper wire (credit to Paula Cheney at oneluckyday.net for this idea).

The background technique is rather unconventional. After prepping the burlap with paste medium (to fill in and even out the surface), I transferred an image cut from the Destinations Paper Stash using polymer medium. The overage of paste medium around the edges was tinted to match the paper.


I've done image transfers with lots of Paper Stash and I suspect it would work with other brands as well. Here's a link to a recent tutorial which describes my technique in more detail.


I included a doll and roses because of the Quote Band. The Salvaged Doll is the artist, the faucet knob represents effort, the number stands for time, the key unlocks the idea, the gear stands for the process and the result is beauty represented by the three Heirloom Roses.


It's fun and easy to transform the doll from its original, stark-white appearance. I just covered her with off-white paint, used blue for the dress, brown for the hair and mixed-up a flesh tone for the face, arms and legs. Everything was coated with fine crackle medium and after it dried, I dropped in some Tea Dye Distress Stain to emphasize the cracks. A tiny drop of red ink went on her cheeks and a fine-tip black marker helped define the eyes and mouth (my photo doesn't do her justice).

I wanted to match the roses to the other pieces but didn't have rust-colored alcohol ink. Since mixing colors opposite each other on the color wheel makes mud, I thought to drop an assortment of colors I did have on top of the roses until I got the look I was after. Then I took the shine away with some fluid matt medium.


The Quote Band was also given a rusty look. I filled in the letters with white paint, wiped the background with a rust-colored ink (like StazOn) and used black paint to distress the edges. I used an antique gold metal paint on the Faucet Knob and glued on a few brads with Glossy Accents.

Speaking of glues, if you'd like to try making an assemblage but you're not sure how to anchor the elements I have some advice. Use nails, screws or wires when you can (no problem with the Burlap Panel since the backing is made of wood). When you can't, a good urethane-based glue (like Duncan's Liquid Fusion) and some clamping will secure just about anything. You can see my other assemblages here.


There are other details about this piece that I could mention but if you've already read through what just may be the longest post in the history of craft blogging, then I may have said too much already!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Please join us for this week's challenge and when you upload your creation to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog you'll have a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!


Here's a list of the products I used for this challenge which can be ordered from Simon:



24 comments:

  1. This is just awesome! I guess my fave element is your embellished nail... I love the rust and the diamonds... iron and carbon! Further, your post cracked me off when you said this would set off a meta; detector! If I get to play this week, I'll keep that in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such an awesome job on this project, Beulah! All the detail and thought put into this piece is so inspiring and I love, love the design. It's been so much fun having your amazing talent on the blog this month. All your work has been amazing and so, so inspiring. Cathie <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positively stunning collage! I love the copper border and those roses xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab project! Loving all the dimension and the burlap!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful techniques and details on this awesome panel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects are always amazing! in this piece my favourite details are the doll and quote rusty band! Superb! It has been a really pleasure to work with you! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sendoff! You've outdone yourself with this GD inspiration. I'm so happy for you and have enjoyed every last bit of it! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning piece, Beulah! I love your use of metals in this, and the wonderful images and doll on the burlap canvas. Wonderful design and texture. I have really enjoyed having you along on our creative journey this month and look forward to your new creations. Hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great project, Beulah! This work is stunning with fabulous elements and a great design.
    Hugs, Mar

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely amazing piece of art reach in metal details. The main square frame rocks! This is really old and quite abandoned, I guess it appreciates its new life given by your talented hands :-) This was an honour to have you at Simon Says Stamp as a Guest Designer. I'm staying here forever and would check your posts with enormous pleasure. I have seen so many new techniques and tricks which inspired me and will be used in my projects for sure. Thank you for your inspiration and ech of this fabulous projects shared here! Can't wait to see more and more of your creations. Hugs, Marzena!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love every element on your collage. The painted doll and the wire outline around the frame are just two of my favorite features. I love your background too! Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your canvas is awesome! Love all the beautiful details and the fabulous layout of these elements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic! I love your collage and the burlap background gives so much texture to your beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this Beulah! all of the elements work so well together, its absolutely brilliant! I loved reading how you made it too and all of your tips :-)

    It has been a real pleasure having you along with us this month xx Thank you for everything :-)
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another stunning piece of artwork, Beulah! With so much wonderful detail and so much to look at on this canvas, it's an absolute feast for the eyes and just stunning... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh wow, Beulah! This is amazing! Love your creative mind! The doll is so cool! It's been a real pleasure to have you as our GT this month! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful! I love how you colored the doll and that textured paste is just yummy. Thank you so much for being our guest designer this month. I have really enjoyed all of your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beulah, this is simply amazing, inspiring and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SUCH a remarkable project and I am blown away by how you brought life to that doll! I have a pack of these embellies, but never thought you could add color to them! That's you-- always thinking outside of the box. Not just outside the box, but outside the box and around the corner and up a few flights of stairs. And that is why you're AWESOME! It's been such a job to have you be a SSS Guest Designer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is amazing! I love the background with the transfer. I did something similar on a burlap panel a couple of years ago. Thank you for reminding me about that, I really enjoyed that technique. I love the focal piece and the whole idea behind this. Thank you so much for being our guest designer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love everything about your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just bought some salvage dolls by Tim Holtz and looked to see what people have done with them when I came across your site! Great job! I'm going to try it too!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete