I've got a lot of pics to share today that illustrate the steps I took to create this journal page made for Simon's Monday challenge this week.
Art journaling can be/should be somewhat spontaneous and you'll see by the process that unfolded for this page, nothing was set in stone and I changed directions a few times.
Being flexible and just "going with the flow" is what makes the experience fun. Not to mention what you might learn along the way!
I began with transcribing a document then pasted word strips cut from it onto the page.
I covered the page with gesso and tinted some sections with gray then sanded it a bit.
I transcribed the last paragraph of my document over the top using a Fude Ball 1.5 pen.
The ink was taking FOREVER to dry so I sprinkled clear embossing powder on it and heat-set. It was messy but did the trick and I like the emphasis and durability it provided.
I used a vintage stamping set (circa 2008) and applied the flowers with black archival ink.
I wanted to create the illusion of flowers growing over and around a brick wall so I printed a photo of some brick, tore out sections and used my image transfer technique.
As you can see, the wall was modified quite a bit later in the process but proved to be a good jumping-off point which was just what I needed.
I used shades of gray to blend in the wall and began to tint the page with craft paints.
I didn't worry too much about "staying inside the lines" but the paint did blur the stamping so I went over the lines with a black pen marker.
Here's the finished product--it's a two-page spread in a Ranger Dylusions journal (8" x 11"):
Some details I didn't photograph but are worth mentioning: I used the Dot Fade stencil and white paint to unify the page and added the butterfly (cut from Tissue Wrap) along with some Collage Paper leaves (Tim Holtz products).